The First Centenary from the death of the Foundress and Benefactress of the Dominican Sisters of Malta.
Carolina cauchi was born in Senglea, on the 25th December 1824, the only child of Notary Nicolò Cauchi from Victoria, Gozo and Teresa née Galea, from Senglea, Malta.
Since childhood, she nurtured a desire to go to Italy to dedicate her whole life to God as a Dominican Cloistered nun. Her desire could not be realized so in 1889, she formed a group of nine women that started to live as contemplative nuns, following the spirit of St. Dominic, in the Annunciation Monastery at Victoria, Gozo which was financed by her.
On the 6th October 1889, this first community was formally recognized by the Church and so the Congregation of the Dominican Sisters was founded. Carolina Cauchi passed away to Eternal Life on the 17th July 1907.
In order to commemorate this important event in the history of our Congregation, on Tuesday 17th July 2007, exactly one hundred years since Carolina Cauchi passed away, Mgr. Mario Grech, the bishop for Gozo, celebrated a solemn thanksgiving mass, along with nine other concelebrants, in Our Lady of Pompei Sanctuary. This was transmitted on radio Maria.
The ‘Gaulitanus’ choir, conducted by Maestro Colin Attard sang during mass. At the beginning of the mass, the Superior General, Mother Carmelita Borg O.P. delivered a speech about Carolina Cauchi’s life.
Even the bishop, in his homily, gave his message for the occasion. After mass, he blessed Carolina Cauchi’s bust, which is in the sisters’ choir. Afterwards, all those present shared with the sisters a repo in the convent yard and were also given a small remembrance of the occasion.
Carolina Cauchi will be always remembered with great affection and respect for all the good our Congregation is accomplishing towards mankind.